Wednesday, May 9, 2012

"The Talisman"

My name is Laura, and I am a bookaholic.  Seriously, I am.  I cannot bear to be without some book I am currently reading.  This love of reading surely started very early, with a Mom who would read to my brother and me every day (I still have fond memories of how we used to fill the time waiting for the schoolbus by reading from various stories). 

Well, I just lately found my self in need of my next book to read, and after so admiring Stephen King's open letter, I was put in the mood to revisit a book of his that I have especially liked.  Actually, it is a collaboration between King and Peter Straub, called The Talisman.  It is the tale of a boy who finds himself on a quest to save his mother, and who must cross worlds to do so.  This other world, a sort of alternate version of ours, is beautifully constructed in itself, but even more interesting are the ways this other world compares with our own.  The contrasts highlight the differences between our "modern" life and simpler modes of living, but there is more to it than that.  Certain things endure across the worlds, and these illuminate the authors' perceptions of which truths are universal, which symbols carry deeper meaning, and which things in life are really the most important, and this is done often in very subtle and fascinating ways.

That is why I am giving this book a re-read.  Also, to my delight, I have discovered that a sequel now exists (which, if I recall, was not yet published when I first read The Talisman).  I am very much looking forward to reading that one, too, which is entitled Black House

This is, alas, a short post...but I must get back to reading!

5 comments:

  1. The Talisman is my favorite Stephen King book, and one of my favorite books overall, so good! I've had the sequel on my kindle for a while now... I really do need to get started on that! (Karen)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Testing to see if this thing can see who I am now..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmigosh yaaaay! My blog knows who you are!

    I'm hoping to start on Black House as soon as I get through my re-read of The Talisman. If we time it right, maybe we could read it together, like a mini book club or something, LOL.

    Thanks for stopping by :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just let me know when you're ready, I've got it all queued up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'll definitely drop you a line when I'm about to start.

      Delete