Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Too Many Eyes

My recent adventures have included my flurry of anual checkups, not the least of which was my eye exam which yielded a new prescription for me to adjust to, which has of course been fun.

However, everybody's attention has been on another eye--or should we say "I" for Isaac? The storm (whose own eye, coincidentally, could be seen today when it formally reached Hurricane status) has just made landfall and is preparing to churn inland bringing wind and rain.

Even though we are reasonably inland where I live, we could still get a fair dose of the wind-and-rain, though our biggest risk would be widespread power outage, rather than serious structural damage or flooding.  Still, the roof repair folks (remember them?  They're still working on our roof from months ago.) were scurrying around frantically the last couple of days.  They were pretty close to done before now, as soon as I can tell, but obviously they wanted to be sure to put on some finishing touches before their work is put to the test.  

Meanwhile, the local schools have been closed both of the next few days, which I definitely think is panicking in advance of the need, but maybe that's just me.  I've done what sensible things I could--filled up the car, brought in a few loose items from my back porch, and drew a little cash.  This evening, I decided to go ahead and pick up some bread and peanut butter in case of widespread outage (no power = no cooking) and a jug of water, since while at lunch we started hearing rumors of runs on these items.  I am glad that I filled up the car, too, as memories of Katrina, fears of power outages (which would also mean no working pumps), and fears of a run on gasoline...have prompted just such a run on gasoline.  Sigh.

Luckily, the little car has plenty to get me through a normal week, and right now I'm thinking that the anticipation is likely to be rather worse than the reality of what makes it to our area.  All I know is, the kitties are snug, I'll keep an eye on things, and I've had enough for now of things that sound like "eye".  

1 comment:

  1. My friend in Madison, MS said there was a run on water.... Guess the last one got people's attention and made them edgy. Sounds like you are being practical but not panicked...nice combo.

    ReplyDelete